Skip to content

Questions outside the scope of our assignment

The Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection often receives questions and reports concerning areas outside the scope of our operations. Here is a summary of the most common areas with details of the appropriate authority to contact.

In the case of Internet crimes

Defamation, harassment, data trespass, ID theft, etc. These crimes are reported to the police.

Read more on the Swedish Police Authority's website


When you visit a website, it often saves a small text file, called a cookie, on your computer. The cookie can enable the owner of the website to see which pages you have visited and the information can be reused the next time you visit the website – while more information is collected about your browsing. Anyone who uses cookies on a website must inform users of this.

Read more on the Post and Telecom Authority's website

Read more about how Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection uses cookies


It is illegal to send marketing e-mails to someone who has not ordered it. Unsolicited e-mail marketing is commonly called spam. The law applies to messages with a commercial purpose. Forming of public opinion, dissemination of information and similar are not considered to be spam. It is illegal to send unsolicited e-mail marketing to individuals and one-man businesses but not to limited companies, foundations or other legal entities.

Report spam to the Swedish Consumer Agency

Technical computer support and viruses

If your computer crashes or becomes infected with a virus, you should contact the shop where you bought it; if this concerns your work computer, contact your IT department. In certain cases it is your Internet provider that you should contact.

Are you getting calls from telemarketers? Even though you have blocked your number on the NIX register?

If you wish to complain about being called by telemarketers even though your phone is on NIX-Telefon's list of blocked numbers, you should contact the Swedish Consumer Agency, the consumer advisor in your municipality or DM-nämnden [The Direct Marketing Board]. On, you can register to not receive telephone calls for sales, marketing or fundraising purposes.

Read more on the Swedish Consumer Agency's website
Read more about direct marketing on DM-nämnden's website
Block your telephone number with NIX

Where freedom of the press and freedom of expression are concerned

The Freedom of the Press Act and the Fundamental Law on Freedom of Expression are constitutional laws that take precedence over other legislation. The General Data Protection Regulation permits EU member states to make exceptions from the rules governing processing of personal data if it is necessary in order to maintain the right to freedom of expression. This means, among other things, that media protected under the provisions of a constitutional law is exempt from review under the General Data Protection Regulation. This applies, for example, to personal data published on the daily newspapers' websites and DVD discs with a responsible publisher. In the case of violations, you must contact the Media Ombudsman (MO) or the Office of the Chancellor of Justice (JK).

Read more on the Media Ombudsman's website
Read more on the Office of the Chancellor of Justice's website

Where copyright is concerned

Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection does not supervise copyrights concerning software and similar. Such matters are handled by the copyright owners themselves and several professional associations exist that safeguard originators' different works. 

Read more on the Swedish National Agency for Education's website

Where invoices and payment reminders are concerned

Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection supervises compliance with debt recovery legislation and observance of accepted debt recovery practices. The Debt Recovery Act applies to those measures that are taken from and including the issuing of a debt recovery order. Questions about contract terms and conditions, invoices and payment reminders occurring before this time lie outside Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection's area of supervision. Contact, for example, the consumer advisor in your municipality or the Swedish Consumer Agency.

Read more on the Swedish Consumer Agency's website
Find the consumer advisor in your municipality

Certificate of publication for a website

If you have a website, you can apply for a publication certificate. The publication certificate grants the website protection under constitutional law, similar to that of the traditional press and media, which means that publication of personal data is exempt from the General Data Protection Regulation. You apply for a publication certificate from the Swedish Press and Broadcasting Authority.

If you find it difficult to have something written or posted about you online removed, it may be because the site has a publication certificate and may therefore be constitutionally protected. This also means that IMY has a limited ability to get sites with such a certificate to remove information about you if you send us a complaint.

Read more on the Swedish Press and Broadcasting Authority's website

In the case of damages

Damages can be claimed under the Tort Liability Act and you can make a claim for damages in court. However, Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection cannot act as your representative or decide on questions of damages.

About the information on this page

If the information in English is different from the Swedish version of this page, the Swedish version applies.

Latest update: 14 August 2023
Page labels Om IMY